UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE
Matthew Michalewicz has been a Visiting Fellow at the University of Adelaide since 2005, where he teaches “Commercialising IT Research” in the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences. The graduate and honors-level course covers the process of transforming IT research into commercial products for the marketplace. Topics include:
- Turning an idea into a business concept.
- Conducting primary and secondary market research.
- Different business and revenue models.
- Creating a business plan.
- Protecting intellectual property (IP): patents, trade secrets, copyrights.
- Choosing a company structure, starting up, and avoiding early pitfalls.
- Understanding business ethics.
- Building a management team and board.
- Raising capital: angel investors, government grants, venture capital, debt financing.
- Marketing: branding, positioning, advertising, lead generation.
- Sales: direct, indirect, B2B, B2C, managing a sales funnel.
- Differences between US and Australian companies.
BDO AND KAIN & CO.
The two areas where entrepreneurs and small business owners struggle the most are sales and exits. BDO and Kain & Co. have teamed up to deliver a group mentoring program focused on Selling Tactics And Growth for Exit (STAGE) for companies between $1 million – $15 million in revenue. The 9-month program is delivered by Matthew Michalewicz and runs annually between October and June. The STAGE program helps entrepreneurs:
- Define, develop and embed a sales process and culture in your business
- Develop a formal sales pipeline
- Increase pipeline size and conversion
- Increase the selling price-point of products and services
- Increase margins
- Learn from sales professionals
- Understand the exit process
- Understand how to increase the exit price
- Prepare to be “exit ready”
- Meet and learn from entrepreneurs that have successfully exited
KEY PERSON OF INFLUENCE IN AUSTRALIA
Matthew Michalewicz is the pitching mentor for the Key Person of Influence program in Australia. The 40-week program allows small business owners to unlock value in their business through improved pitching, brand building, and partnerships. Offered in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane, the program is ideally suited for small business owners, consultants, and ‘corporate escapees’ who find themselves underpaid, undervalued and under recognized after setting up their business.